Cutest Blog Template

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thoughts on Whole Wheat Pasta

I have been working through making decisions on what type of pasta to use with different sauces. While most recipes already tell you which pasta to use, it is helpful to know what kinds of ingredients pair well together in case you are called upon to create something on a moment's notice and don't have time to look up a recipe. I am also interested in creating sauces from scratch with what is available to me at that moment. As I learn things I want to note them here to share with you.
One of the most important things to remember with whole wheat pasta is that it seems to get dry easier. It soaks up more liquid than white pasta. If you are making a sauce for your pasta you should keep in mind that you may need 1/3 more liquid than the regular recipe calls for. This is especially true for dishes that require baking after the ingredients are put together.
In addition, it seems to me that due to the dense flavor in the whole wheat pasta itself sauces may need additional seasonings or stronger flavors to get the same impact that you might get with a white pasta. This may also vary by brand of pasta. Some are more gritty and denser than others. The jury is still out with a verdict on brand preference for me. Mostly because I haven't paid enough attention. Although I have purchased Ronzoni often have found it to be good for many uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment