Cutest Blog Template

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Breakfast Idea : Oatmeal Bar

First, I should clarify that I am not referring to something you can hold with your hand or pack for a trip. Sounds nice though. What I am referring to is something to help stretch the budget, make breakfast easy and healthy and a way to take a break from cold cereal.

Once or twice a week, consider setting up an oatmeal bar. The idea here is to have oatmeal in an exciting way for breakfast.

1. Cook up oats for oatmeal (steel cut oats soaked overnight or the regular rolled oats, NOT the quick oats as they have a gooey texture).
2. Set out various nuts (almonds, pine nuts, pecans...)

3. Set out various dried or fresh fruits (raisins, golden raisins, cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, mango...)

4. Let each family member serve themselves up some oatmeal and toppings.

5. Finish off with a small dab of butter or spray-butter and...
6. Something sweet if you desire, such as Sucanat, honey or pure maple syrup.

The idea here is to dress up oatmeal with some items you should have on hand. If you don't keep nuts on hand, consider keeping some of some kind to try in different foods. Store them in the freezer so they don't go rancid.

I like to make mine with dried blueberries and strawberries and may add some nuts next time. I usually do some spray butter and a very light drizzle of pure maple syrup. A little goes a long way so I recommend assisting your children until they know how to use a small amount.

*BTW - I have a trip for stretching the maple syrup too. Posting soon!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog site! Please post something more extensive about steel cut oats. How do you cook yours? I've bought them before and have tried to make them in the crock pot over night...sure is convenient and pleasant to wake up to that aroma & a warm breakfast I don't have to think about - I'm not a morning person! My husband and oldest son like it, but I'm not satisfied with the recipe. I'm just experimenting. Thought you might have tried that or might have insight. Thanks! Keep up the good blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete